20 November 2014

I See - The Luring of [ ]



Acrylic & oil on canvas   |   91.5 x 140 cm   |   2013





Artwork description

The Malaysia identity card (I.C) is a unique series of digits issued to Malaysian citizen and permanent residents for identification, indexing and tracking purposes. I.C reflects the specific person’s identity and social status. The content included name, date of birth, birthplace, random number and gander, photograph of the card holder and etc.

This piece of artwork is a continuation of my ongoing interests in the Malaysian social landscape. My artwork is an observation of the socio-political status of the nation. Malaysia is a developing country, with problems and challenges similar to other nations in Southeast Asia. By re-visiting the current social issue I aim to provoke various questionings of the social environment on both a local and regional level. In this painting, I try to investigate / revisit the current social landscape of my homeland, such as the economy and identity issues.

Formally, I’m interested in pushing the visual language of painting to convey further ideological curiosities. In this painting, I try to twist the idea of an I.C to create an I.C for the nation. I create layers of reading for the painting; it’s from the formal visual reading to expand to the social media platform. I make used of the platform of social media, like Youtube and etc to extend the dialogues beyond the “surface” or fundamental elements of a painting and also further open up the painting’s possible meaning. The Youtube’s link at the down left corner of the painting is a video about the economy structure of Malaysia. In another hand, I used sense of humour to change the formal type of photograph for the card holder to a typical Malaysian politician body language to irony the politicians are more concerned about their own exposure to media rather than serves the people.

p/s: the Youtube’s link at the down left corner of the painting is a video about the economy structure of Malaysia.

No comments: